How to prevent toenail fungus
Fungi thrive in moist environments, so it’s important to keep your toenails short and as clean and dry as possible. Here are some tips:
- Dry your feet and toes thoroughly after showering or bathing. If you have a hair dryer, use it on a low setting to dry your toes.
- Always wear shoes in locker rooms, in public showers, and around public pools.
- Whenever possible, wear synthetic socks that wick moisture from your feet; if your feet sweat a lot, change your socks during the day.
- Wear shoes that fit well and are made of breathable materials.
- Avoid tight-fitting socks and stockings, which can trap moisture between your toes.
- Don’t pick the skin around your toenails.
- Use antifungal spray or powder in your shoes or on your feet.
- Keep your pedicure instruments clean and disinfected, and if you use a pedicure salon, make sure your pedicurist does the same.
- Don’t try to cover up the infected toenail with nail polish. It will trap moisture and worsen the infection.